Our library is a vital part of the academic life and intellectual growth of De La Salle students. In order to best serve our constituents, we adhere to the philosophies and objectives outlined below.
Library Bill of Rights
The American Library Association affirms that all libraries are forums for information, ideas, and that the following basic policies should guide their services.
- Books and other library resources should be provided for the interest, information, and enlightenment of all people of the community the library serves. Materials should not be excluded because of the origin, background, or views of those contributing to their creation
- Libraries should provide materials and information presenting all points of view on current and historical issues. Materials should not be proscribed or removed because of partisan or disapproval.
- Libraries should challenge censorship in the fulfillment of their responsibility to provide information and enlightenment
- Libraries should cooperate with all people and groups concerned with resisting abridgement of free expression and free access to ideas
- A person's right to use a library should not be denied or abridged because of origin, age, background or views
- Libraries which make exhibit spaces and meeting rooms available to the public they serve should make sure facilities available on an equitable basis, regardless of the beliefs or affiliations of individuals or groups requesting their use
Objectives of Library Services
- Instruct students on an individual and group basis in the use of media and the development of necessary information skills
- Communicate with teachers and students in order to assess instructional needs by means of personal contact, group meetings, and printed memoranda
- Acquire instructional materials and equipment according to identified needs and interests
- Process and make available for use by students and teachers instructional materials and equipment
- Maintain instructional materials and equipment by means of repair, preventive maintenance and replacement
- Provide facilities and conditions suitable for study, research, and leisure activities
- Provide research and reference services to students and teachers through technology, materials and personal resources
- Provide information, guidance, and suggestion to students and teachers in their use of media
- Coordinate the ordering, use and return of educational films by all departments as needed