Minutes for DLS Parent Association Meeting
Recording Minutes – Tami Lightle
September 14, 2020
Kris Earle, Parent Association President, called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m.
Opening prayer: Michael Aquino
Welcome and Introductions: Kris Earle, Parent Association President
Spartan Update: Michael Aquino, Director of Campus Life and Culture
- Initial focus at the beginning of the year was how to welcome families and get freshman/transfer students oriented
o Instituted a program called “Onboard” where new students were assigned a Junior or Senior to be their “big brother”, primary contact to direct them to the appropriate person at DLS, answer questions, etc.
o Helped facilitate Welcome Bags for freshman/transfer students
- Flex Days on Wednesday – Been working on creating programming for Flex Day to create more of a connection with school while virtual that will transition to in person when that happens.
Parent Association Board - Chair Reports
Expense Administrator – Debbie Meeks
- Expenses for Welcome Bags were used against New Student Welcome budget
- Reminder to turn in copy of your receipts to Debbie so she can track expenses in PA budget, as well as turning receipts into DLS for reimbursement
- Volunteer Coordinators – Angela Lombardi
- Stuffed over 300 Welcome Bags and distributed to freshman and transfer students
- Volunteers stuffed DLS string bags with DLS sticker, DLS decorated cookie and DLS lanyard at a volunteer’s house
- Volunteers delivered bags on Saturday August 15 to freshman and transfer student’s homes. Large delivery area; DLS has students as far as San Francisco, Rio Vista and Vallejo.
- Hand written thank you notes are going out to all volunteers
- A note for next time: recruit delivery volunteers from some of the outlying areas
Support a Family – Gwen Aberer
- We are starting a Support A Family program targeting our freshman/transfer families
- Via SignUp Genius, trying to recruit 60 volunteers, with a max of 5 families per volunteer
- For those people who adopt these families, we envision them to be a resource and source of support throughout the year
- Initial contact will be with an introduction email, letting the family know that they are a resource, if they don’t know who to contact at DLS or they need advice, this person is someone they can reach out to and the volunteer can direct the family to the appropriate person within DLS
- Hopefully up and running by middle of September
- Idea suggested is to try and assign families to the volunteers based on student’s interests. For example, if a student is interested in playing football, try to match with a volunteer whose son is on football team.
Cereal Drive – Kris Earle
- DLS is going to continue with the Cereal drive normally held in September
- This year DLS will be taking monetary donations online. A $4 donation = 1 box of cereal
- Funds will be used to buy cereal in bulk to donate to the Monument Crisis Center with a goal to donate 3,000 boxes
- There will also be a second piece to this fundraiser. There will be raffles and auction items made available to the students by faculty and staff. Money raised by these items will also go into the fund to purchase cereal
- The Parent Association is handling the distribution of the auction items to the boys
- The cereal drive will run from September 21- October 2
Crab Feed – Veronica Blanco
- Had an initial meeting with Jamie Frick
- Biggest issue is how to seat 600 people safely, not sure what guidelines will be in place at time of event
- Received volunteer list for those willing to help plan/work event
- Event currently scheduled for 1/23
CHS Update – Tami Lightle
- Similar to our Welcome Bags, CHS gave freshman CHS car magnets and charm bracelet at their drive-thru book pickup
- Crab Feed – CHS PAB’s largest fundraiser, still planned for March, if they cannot have Crab Feed in person, they are considering a curbside pickup Crab Feed
- Bubbles and Brew (the nighttime event during Visions of Christmas) may be moved to Spring and held outside
- No longer requiring volunteer hours from parents starting this academic year
- Idea for their Parent Education meetings is to hold over Zoom similar to DLS Town Hall meetings
- Idea that BTS Night videos from teachers is something that should be permanently kept, even if BTS night goes back to in person next year, nice option for parents that can’t get away from work, have a conflict with sporting events or have multiple children at DLS and CHS and cannot make it to all of the classroom presentations
- CHS has cancelled Kairos for the year, CHS Campus Ministry is preparing their own 3 day program to be held at CHS, does not include overnight to comply with county health order
Reminders/Closing Remarks – Kris Earle, Parent Association President
- There were 7 Senior parents on the Parent Association Board at the end of the 2019-20 school year. Kris and Candi delivered a special tote and frame worthy thank you note to each parent as a thank you for their service.
- Personalized, handwritten thank you notes are sent out to all volunteers after an event. If you are an event chair, please keep track of all your volunteers so they can be included.
- Open Parent Association Board positions for the 2020-21 school year:
o Community Outreach Chair
o Senior Trip Chair (Senior Trip is taking place of Grad Night. Tentatively, it will be held sometime the week before graduation.)
- Looking for a new Parent Association President and Vice President for the 2021-22 school year. Ideally would be a sophomore parent. If interested, please contact Kris or Candi.
- Normally, we have a 15 Minute speaker at the beginning of our meetings. It is usually someone from within DLS that gives a talk on a specific topic that is of parent interest. One was not booked because this is our first meeting of the school year, but hoping to have one scheduled for the next meeting.
- In the past the DLS PA has put on some Parent Education Nights. In current climate this is not possible. Michael Aquino suggested parents look into the “Common Ground Speaker Series”. They host some great programs and may be of some interest to DLS parents. Information regarding the series will be posted on the DLS Parent Association website.
- Next meeting: Monday, October 5 at 7:00pm via Zoom
Closing Prayer: Michael Aquino
Meeting adjourned at 8:00 p.m