National Signing Day FAQs
What is signing day and who participates?
The National Letter of Intent (NLI) is a voluntary program with regard to both institutions and student-athletes. No prospective student-athlete or parent is required to sign the NLI and no institution is required to join the program. The NLI is a binding agreement between a prospective student-athlete and an NLI member institution.
WHAT ARE THE 2020-2021 DATES?
- November 11, 2020 (All Sports except Football, Early Period), Division I & II (Deadline to participate October 30th). Location: Gym, 7:30am
- December 16, 2020 (Early Football Signing Date), Division I & II (Deadline to participate December 4th). Location: TBA
- February 3, 2021 (All Sports, Regular Period), Division I & II (Deadline to participate January 22nd). Location: TBA
- April 14, 2021 (All Sports, Final Signing Date), Division I & II (Deadline to participate April 2nd). Location: TBA
WHO SIGNS AN NLI?
Prospective student-athletes enrolling in a four-year institution for the first time can sign an NLI. Student-athletes who start their academic career at a four-year institution and then transfer to a two-year college may also sign an NLI if they plan to enter a second four-year institution. Student-athletes that will be attending Division III, NAIA and Ivy League schools can still participate in this event.
HOW DO I PARTICIPATE IN NATIONAL SIGNING DAY?
Each student-athlete looking to participate in national signing day should work directly through their respective head coach to ensure they are included.
IF I AM GOING TO WALK-ON, DO I SIGN AN NLI?
No. An institution is strictly prohibited from allowing you to sign an NLI if you are a non-scholarship walk-on. In order for an NLI to be considered valid, it must be accompanied by an athletics financial aid award letter, which lists the terms and conditions of the award, including the amount of the financial aid. The athletics financial aid offer must be signed by both the prospective student-athlete and his or her parent or legal guardian. Simply put, there must be an athletics scholarship for an NLI to be valid.
WHAT DO I WEAR?
College attire up top and school uniform bottom. You can bring a hat if you want to but it is not required.
- NLI Member Institutions: 651 NCAA Division I and II institutions are NLI members.
- Non-NLI Member Institutions: Ivy League, Service Academies, Division III institutions, NAIA institutions, preparatory schools and two-year colleges. All members of the NLI program are required to offer athletics scholarships.