Ven A Ver -- An Immersion Program
The process is very selective. Everyone that applies will be interviewed and given serious consideration. DLS administration,and Deans and faculty are consulted as part of the selection process. The following personal qualities are what we are looking for in prospective candidates:
- Be in good academic shape in all of your classes.
- Have a strong sense of responsibility – be on time for meetings and committed to deadlines.
- Sincerity of the applicant’s motivation and readiness – maturity.
- Background and experience of the applicant in terms of preparedness for Ven a Ver.
- Openness about the role your faith plays in your choice to apply.
- Approval by the Dean of Students.
List the names of two DLS/CHS faculty, staff, or administrators who would recommend you for Ven a Ver.
The Application Deadlines are:
Wednesday, September 6 for the October 16-19 Salinas Immersion
Friday, November 8 for the March 9-14 San Diego Immersion
Thank you for your interest in the Ven a Ver Immersion Experience. In order to have a deeper understanding of your position regarding the specific issues this immersion confronts, please give your candid and detailed responses to the following questions:
1. Social Justice and The Catholic Church’s approach to Social Teaching make very clear two core principles: a) The Life and Dignity of every Human Being is of paramount importance; and b) We are our Brothers’ and Sisters’ Keepers no matter who they are and no matter where we meet them. Write about your position on these two key issues of Catholic Social Teaching.
2. Write about your response to the following three scripture passages which clearly point out how the Bible informs us about where God stands on the issues of immigration and poverty, and how we should respond to our brothers and sisters in need. Respond to all three passages.
a) Reading – Deuteronomy 27:19
“Cursed be anyone who deprives the alien, the widow and the orphan, and the poor of justice.”
b) Reading – Luke 2:46-53 – The Magnificat
“God has shown strength with his arm; He has scattered the proud in the thoughts of their hearts. He has brought down the powerful from their thrones, and lifted up the lowly; He has filled the hungry with good things, and sent the rich away empty.”
c) Reading – Micah 6:8
“This is what the Lord your God requires of you – only this – Act Justly, Love Tenderly, and Walk Humbly with your God.”
3. Please make clear what qualities you have that will enhance everyone’s experience of this immersion? The minimum we expect are:
Ven a Ver Parent Comment Form
Please respond to the following questions. Your responses will help us decide who will be able to participate in the experience this year. This will serve as your recommendation of your son for the program.
Do you support your son’s desire to participate in the Ven a Ver experience? Please explain. (You may want to comment on what you see as the potential outcome of your son’s involvement and what hesitations you have for his involvement.)
Any other comments or concerns?